Sunday, September 12, 2010

18 mile Training Run = Our reward....Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes


Yesterday was the morning of our 18 mile run. I wish I could tell you that that marathon training gets easier each year that you do it, but sadly that is not the case. I still dread the long long training runs. Plus you never know what you are going to get when you train in the Chicago weather. Yesterday our forecast were thunderstorms and 60 degrees. We started our run at 7am, started around the northern part of the city (Irving park exit) ran 9.5 miles south with mile high winds blowing against us. At a couple spots, it felt like I wasn't even running forward because the pressure of the wind against us was so strong, I felt as though I was running in place! All that kept me going was the thought that once we turn around and come back, the wind would be at our backs. And of course when it was time for us to turn back and run 8.5 miles back, the wind had died down and we found ourselves running into clouds of gnats. It was lightly raining during our entire run so we were pretty much soaked to the bone after we got back from our run. After a run like that, I feel like it's only fair to treat ourselves to a HUGE homemade breakfast.

I still had a ton of buttermilk from making Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache so I wanted to make something that would use up a lot of buttermilk. The solution - buttermilk pancakes! My BF had a bunch of frozen blueberries in his freezer and I asked him if we could use his blueberries so we could make some blueberry pancakes. I got the recipe online from Martha Stewart, these pancakes were amazing, they were fluffy and delicious! We served these with Aunt Jemima light syrup along with bacon and sausage. What a way to end our run.

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes


2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBSP sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 TBSP unsalted butter.

I put all of the dry ingredients (flour through sugar)in a small bowl and whisked them together. I cracked two large eggs, beat them lightly in a large bowl. Added the butter and buttermilk, then added the flour mixture to the wet ingredient and whisked until just combined. The recipe states that you should not overmix the batter so it should be a little bit lumpy still.

Heated my pan with some butter, and poured some batter in. Add the blueberries once the batter is in the pan. When pancakes have bubbles on top and the edges look dry, flip and then cook on the other side for a minute or so.

This recipe says it makes 9 six inch pancakes, but I made smaller pancakes and it made a bunch of pancakes! I would say at least 15!

No comments:

Post a Comment