Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Pork Tenderloin Dinner For Four










My BF and I had two of my friends, Val and Kevin, over for dinner (who are also a couple) and it has been a while since we had both seen them. My friend Val makes awesome dinners so I wanted to ensure that our dinner was a big hit. So on the menu, we had cheese and crackers to start. Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Barbecue Sauce, Tangy Mustard Coleslaw, Corn bread for our entree and topped of our dinner with homemade strawberry shortcakes.
I got all my recipes from cooking light - my favorite recipe source! It always makes me feel better about cooking since I assume they try to make it a lighter and healthier recipe.

Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Mustard Barbecue Sauce

** Fairly healthy, especially if you don't make the sauce with the pork. It is a dry rub that goes onto the pork and the smoked paprika gives is a nice smokey flavor. The sauce is super mustardy! I added more ketchup and honey so the sauce did not taste like straight mustard! The bacon (even though I don't like bacon) is a must with the sauce. I tried to make it the following day without bacon and it just didn't taste the same) The recipe calls for a grill but I don't have on so I just put it in the oven for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. It came out a bit on the medium rare side which I thought was perfect since I hate it when meat is overcooked.

Tangy Mustard Coleslaw

** Awesome coleslaw recipe! I am not a big fan of mayo, plus it is really not good for you so I try to avoid mayo when possible. With this recipe, I bought the smallest container of mayo I could find..which meant it was straight up Hellmanns mayo so I used half of what the recipe called for and added another TBSP of plain non fat yogurt instead. I ended up doubling the amount of sauce for the coleslaw so I ended up using 2 TBSP mayo and 2 TBSP non-fat plain yogurt. Sounds like a lot but considering how much slaw this recipes makes, 2 TBSP of mayo does not seem bad at all. I will definitely be making this coleslaw again!

Cornbread

This is my go to corn bread recipe. I also always add in a half can of corn, I love when corn bread had real corn! I usually bake this in a a bread pan for about 35-40 minutes.

Strawberry Short Cakes

The cakes turned out a little dry, perhaps I kneaded it too much because the dough was not as sticky as I had hoped and I actually added a little more buttermilk than it called for. Next time I will just add enough so the dough is pretty sticky, turn it out so that I can separate it into four biscuits and throw it on the cookie sheet. I loved the lemon zest in this recipe. I am usually weary of lemon zest since a little zest goes a long way and it can overpower your recipe but I really loved the hint of lemon in these shortcakes. Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to take a pic of this dessert since there were no leftovers!



No comments:

Post a Comment