Friday, July 23, 2010

Korean Dukbuki




Tonight I made Korean Dukbuki for my best friend Risa. Dukduki consists mainly of rice cakes, thinly sliced fish cakes and this Korean red sauce called kochujang. Have I lost most of you already? It is really delicious and I am hoping it's also good for you as well. I got the rice cakes, fish cakes, and kochujang at H-mart, this Korean market, but you may be able to find these items in a general asian market. There are many versions of Dukbuki but here is what I did...
**In order to make it healthier, I used wheat rice cakes instead of the white rice cakes. Next time I think I would add more carrots and onions as the package of rice cakes cooked up more than I thought it would. You can also try using other veggies in this as well.

Ingredients:

1 package of wheat Rice Cakes
1 package of thinly sliced fish cakes
Kochujang (I used about 1/2 cup)
2 large carrots
1 large onion
2 bunches of scallions
3 cloves garlic (minced)
Sprinkle of sugar

I used a pretty deep skillet and heated up olive oil. Threw in the minced garlic and let it cook for about 30 seconds, then added the onions. I let that cook for about a minute and then added the carrots and the fish cakes. Then I added the koschujang and added the rice cakes and let that all cook for a couple of minutes. Add sprinkle of sugar. Cook until the rice cakes are soft and chewy. If you buy larger rice cakes or the longer stick kind, they will take longer to cook. If you buy them frozen make sure to defrost them, or if you don't have time to defrost them, you can soak them in a hot water bath for a hour or you can boil them separately. Just make sure not to overcook the rice cakes because they will start to get really soft and sticky and will fall apart.
After the rice cakes are at al dente consistency, throw in the scallions, mix it all up and then serve!

On the side I served a quick cucumber salad. Slice up one cucumber, mix with spicy chili oil, soy sauce and sesame oil. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, add seasame seeds and serve! (I didn't have seasame seeds so I went without them and they still tasted great!)

No comments:

Post a Comment