Friday, October 28, 2011

Sloppy Joes

Late October in Chicago is not only bringing cooler weather here, but also blustery winds and lots of cold rain! This gloomy weather has me craving homemade warm cooked meals. I am really loving the CL "fast" recipes in their November 2011 (no I am not getting paid by CL magazine). The picture of the fast 20 minute Sloppy Joe recipe looked so delicious, I decided I would give it a try. I have never really been much of a fan of sloppy joes, they always look weird to me but this recipe has changed my entire outlook on Sloppy Joes, I find that they make a quick and tasty meal!

Ingredients

1 large carrot
10 oz lean ground beef
3/4 cup prechopped onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBSP Dijon mustard
1 TBSP worcesterhire sauce
1 TBSP tomato paste
1 TSBP red wine vinegar
1 (8oz) can no-salt added tomato sauce
hamburger buns

I grated the carrot and onion beforehand. The recipe tells you to heat the skillet while you are grating a carrot..but hey I am clumsy enough I don't need any other excuses to try to burn another pan or start a fire.
Add carrot, beef, onion to pan, cook 6 minutes or until beef is browned and vegetables are tender.Add garlic powder, chili powder, and pepper; cook 1 minute.Combine 1/4 ketchup and the next 5 ingredients (through tomato sauce) in a small bowl.Add ketchup mixture to pan, stirring evenly to coat beef mixture. Simmer for five minutes or until slightly thickened.While sauce thickens, arrange buns, cut side up, in a singer layer on baking sheet. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place 1/4 cup beef mixture on half of bun. (we added some parm cheese on top too!)

This was such an easy and quick meal! I made this earlier in the day and when my BF and I got back from a run after work, we reheated up the sauce and put the buns in the oven and had dinner ready in less than ten minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment