Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pulled Pork in ROOT BEER!

We had some friends over for dinner and we decided to go with a make your own taco theme with pulled pork and skirt steak as our filling options.

So for pulled pork, I decided to try using root beer as the liquid in the crock pot.

I got a 5 lb bone in pork shoulder and trimmed off all of the fat. (Note to self: next time I see a pork shoulder with the skin on and think it will be easy to trim off the skin, think twice about this)

I prepared a rub with the following ingredients:

Brown sugar (about 1/4 cup)
smoked paprika (about 2.5 tsp)
cumin (about 1 tsp)
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
dry mustard
pepper

After massaging the rub on the pork shoulder, I let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.
Then heat up a deep skillet and sear all sides of the pork.

After this is completed, I placed the pork in the crock pot.
I add two cups of root beer to the crock pot and set on low. I let it cook for about 7-8 hours. Shred the pork and place back into the crock pot. When ready to serve drain the pork (reserve some liquid) and serve pork with a little bit of the remaining liquid so the meat stays moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment