Saturday, October 15, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

There are a million variations of chicken tortilla soup on the Internet. I perused through many of them and finally decided to make the following...and also just added or edited the recipe to my liking. Here is what I did.... (and apologies in advance for the lack of photos, we were having friends over for dinner and in the rush of making everything, I forgot to take more photos..which is pretty standard of me ;)

Ingredients
2 TBSP veg oil
1 small onion diced
2 TBSP minced garlic
2 jalapenos diced (I took out the seeds)
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (14.5 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
3 chicken breasts
2 limes juiced
salt and pepper
1 small can green chilies (I only used half)
1 can of corn
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
3-4 corn tortillas


In a medium to large size pot, heat oil and add onions - cook 2 minutes.
Add garlic, jalapenos and cook for 1 minute.Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes (I added in the juice in the can for extra flavor) and bring to a boil. Simmer and then add chicken breast.(I dusted the chicken breasts with a bit of the cumin). Cook 20-25 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and shred (using two forks to shred works the best for me, and I shred it in sections)
Then add the chicken back into the soup, add the cumin and chili powder. Add lime, can of corn, and salt and pepper to taste.


After this, I let the soup simmer. While the soup is simmering, I cut up the corn tortillas into long strips. Heat up a shallow frying pan with vegetable oil and place the tortilla strips in the pan. Flip the tortilla strip after about 45 seconds to a minute (depending on hot your pan is the time may vary) and let cook on the other side. When both sides are golden brown, place on a paper towel on a plate. I then cut up the avocado into slices and grate some cheddar cheese as an accompaniment to the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment