Sunday, August 5, 2012

Texas Pulled Pork

I decided to try a different pulled pork recipe for the crock pot.  I found a recipe for Texas pulled pork and it turned out pretty well.

Here is what the recipes calls for :

1  (4-5 lb) pork shoulder
1 cup bbq sauce
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 TBSP  prepared yellow mustard
1 TBSP worchestershire sauce
1 TBSP chili powder
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme

I threw in the chopped onion in the crock pot first.
 Put in the rest of the ingredients in the crock pot and stir it all together.
 I put the pork shoulder in with the fat layer face up.  It will easier to take the fat off after the pork cooks. 
 I let the pork cook for six hours on low and then turned it on high for the last two hours. After eight hours, I took the pork shoulder out and shredded the meat and discarded the fat from the pork.
There was a lot of liquid remaining in the crock pot.  After shredding the meat, I ladled all of the broth into a medium size pot and reduced the sauce.  Ten minutes later, the sauce reduced in size and was thicker.
 
I poured the rest of the sauce back into the crock pot with meat and kept it warm until it was time for dinner.
I paired the pulled pork with cole slaw and corn and it made for a great summer night dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment