Thursday, December 9, 2010

Flatbread Dough

I have really stayed away from trying to make fresh bread for a while now. Last time I tried, I put a lot of heart and time into this honey wheat bread and it never rose....so after that I was a bit disheartened and strayed away from any baked products that required yeast. Last week, I thought it was time that I stepped it up and tried to make amends with my long lost friend...yeast.
Seeing that this was my re-entry into the dough world.. I thought I would attempt something less intimidating...flatbread dough. I mean after all if it doesn't rise, it is supposed to be flat right? It was a success and I found a go to flatbread recipe! So thought I would share the wealth!

Flatbread Dough
2 and 1/4 cups flour (divided)*
1 package yeast**
6 TBSP warm water (100-110 degrees)
1/2 cup warm water (100-110 degrees)
1/2 tsp salt
dash of sugar

*I won't lie I didn't bother dividing the flour right away
**I used regular activating yeast

Dissolve sugar and yeast in 6 TBSP warm water in a large bowl, stir in 1/4 cup flour and let stand 30 mins or until bubbly.
Then add 1 and 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup warm water and salt to the yeast mixture, stir until soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic. (about 8 minutes) Add enough remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands) Place dough in large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees) and free from drafts.
Let rise one hour or until doubled in size.

A couple of important things I realized this time around. I used a thermometer to check the temp of the water - this is very important! I realized that in the past my idea of warm was actually hot and it killed the yeast! This time around having the thermoter really helped!
Also it was really cold in my apartment that day so it was hard to find a warm spot to let the dough rise. My best friend Risa suggested setting my oven to the lowest temp and then placing my bowl of dough on top of the oven. Risa is a genius! Thanks my BFF! (not to be confused with my BF - BFF is best friends forever, and BF is boyfriend..yes I am still in grade school) If you do decide to go the oven route, make sure you don't use a metal/steel bowl because that conducts heats quickly and there is a chance it could start baking the dough)

No comments:

Post a Comment