Friday, October 29, 2010

My Intention for the Marathon

In the beginning of some yoga classes, the instructor sometimes requests you to come up with an intention for that hour of practice. It can be a phrase, a goal, a wish,a dedication, just something for you to focus your thoughts on in that hour.

Even though I don't believe in all of the yoga speak (specifically those classes that have asked me to pretend I am tree and I am spreading the seeds with my breathing) I have found that setting an intention does help me to focus on some of those hard stretches and poses that are near the end. And I will admit it, I am a wannabe yogi so I kind of feel more in the zen mode if I set an intention. :)

So as I prepare to leave for DC today, I am setting my intention. My intention for this run will be my boyfriend.

As you probably have read in my previous entries, my BF and I have been training for this marathon together. Two weeks ago, he was seriously injured in a soccer game and his right calf swelled up to three times the size of what his left calf is. His right calf has not gone down much in size. Needless to say, he will not be running in the race with me. I am super bummed I am losing my running partner for the race. My BF is the one that usually keeps me going on our long runs. I am usually just trying to breathe and am sucking in wind while he is cracking up jokes. It is either the thought of wanting to push him off the road, or the thought of not wanting to disappoint him, usually the latter, that is what motivates me to keep going.

The resilient guy that he is, even though he has been in immense pain, and has barely been able to walk, he has been keeping his spirits up for me and has been encouraging me to continue on in this race. Even though he is the one in pain, I feel like I have cried more than he has over his calf. (yes I am a baby, and if I was the one who was hurt, I would definitely not be taking it with as much honor and pride as he is, rather I would be whining a lot and throwing things at the wall.) So I admire him even more for how strong he is, even when he is injured.

So that is why I am going to set him as my intention for the race. I will run for all of the hard work he has put in this summer. I will run for him because he deserves more than anyone, to be in this race.

Who knows what race day will bring, all I can do is set my intention and aim for the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment