Thursday, August 26, 2010

Steak Pitas with Yogurt Cucumber Dill Dip

The other week, I tried my hand at making some homemade yogurt cucumber dill dip. And of course I wanted to make it as healthy as possible. I decided to make it out of non fat plain Dannon yogurt. I decided it would be more cost effective instead of buying greek yogurt. It takes a bit more time and work, but you save a couple dollars in doing so :)

Yogurt Cucumber Dill Dip

Large container of plain Non Fat yogurt
2 TSBP chopped Dill
Four-five cloves of minced garlic (I like garlic so I minced a lot of cloves)
One large cucumber, peeled and chopped up finely
Cheese cloth
Sieve or fine mesh strainer
Salt

I poured out the yogurt into a large bowl, lined the sieve with cheese cloth and poured the yogurt back in, setting the sieve on top of the original yogurt container. Let this sit overnight for a day or two until the consistency is fairly thick. Then add the dill, garlic, cucumber, and salt. Mix and there you have it.



Last night I decided to make some steak pitas to go along with my cucumber dip. I looked up a couple recipes on Cooking Light and decided to do the following.

Steak Pitas

1 lb skirt steak
1 large lemon
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 chili pepper flakes
1/2 onion chopped
Wheat pitas
Spinach
Tomatoes
Feta cheese

I threw this all together and let it marinate for about 2-3 hours. Then set my oven on broil and put it in for six minutes, took it out and flipped the steak over, and set it in for another six minutes. Take the meat out and let it rest for five minutes. After that, just slice and add to pita along with spinach, tomatoes, feta, and the yogurt cucumber sauce.







I almost forgot to take some pictures so this is why the food on my plate is almost all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment